CSO Platform For Reform – Child Cluster
Child Rights Coalition Malaysia (CRCM)
Problem Statement / Issue:
The rise of cases of bullying has negatively impacted children’s mental health and studies. Parents
and teachers were cited as perpetrators of bullying. Refugee children highlighted that they are
bullied in their apartments, playground and en route school.
Value(s) and Belief(s):
For school management to take urgent and proper action when confronted with cases of bullying.
Child perpetrators are given counselling and proper assistance.
Perpetrators who are teachers are removed from their position as teachers.
Proposal of Solution and Call to Action:
1. Engage and empower all children from all communities including refugees, asylum-seekers,
migrants and stateless to keep themselves and their peers safe through systematic
participatory assessments, capacity building, awareness raising against all forms of violence
including physical and online bullying and reporting them confidentially.
2. Institutionalise prevention and response to bullying and online bullying through child
safeguarding policies and child protection response procedures with all schools, learning
centres, community-based organisations, religious schools, residential care including those
run by NGOs and government with confidential feedback and reporting mechanisms
regulated by competent child protection authorities.
3. Avail adequate and effective rehabilitative services and support services for bullies and
survivors. Extend this service to refugees, migrants and stateless children.
4. Reform of policies in educational establishments following disclosures of bullying and
subject perpetrators to the laws that protect children in Malaysia.
5. Institutionalise regular awareness raising and capacity building on the negative impact of
bullying children, laws governing the protection and safety of children and confidential
reporting mechanisms with judicial, enforcement, medical authorities including SCAN and
OSCC, first responders, child protectors, social workers, teachers, school staff, NGOs,
families, children from all communities.
Isu dan Polisi Semasa:
Nilai-nilai & Kepercayaan: