Reintroduce Local Election Along with Decentralisation
Wong Tsu Soon
Agora Society Malaysia
3g Local Democracy
- Local authorities can’t be hold accountable in terms of local governance without local election
- Federal government holds unproportionate powers and incomes at the cost of weakened state governments and local authorities
Value(s) and Belief(s):
A nation wouldn’t be stable if there is no local democracy, as the latter is the foundation of a nation. There is no local democracy if there is no local election. But local election without decentralisation is not meaningful, whereas decentralisation without local election violates the principle of responsible government. Thus local election must be along with decentralisation.
Proposal of Solution:
- Reintroduce local council election of councilors (include mayors or local council head)
- Decentralize Federal Powers and empower state governments and local authorities for local affairs, such as fire services, public transportation, appointment of state and local police chief,.
- Allow state governments and local authorities to impose particular taxes in their jurisdiction, such as sales tax, carbon tax, etc.
Isu dan Polisi Semasa:
Nilai-nilai dan Kepercayaan: